Affiliated Senior Research Scientist
University Position: Professor (Retired), Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California (USC)
PhD, Statistics, Johns Hopkins University Post-Doctoral Experience: Statistics, Stanford University; Epidemiology/Statistical Genetics, University of North Caroline, Chapel Hill
Post-Doctoral Experience: Statistics, Stanford University; Epidemiology/Statistical Genetics, University of North Caroline, Chapel Hill
Dr. Sobel’s collaborative experience includes working with colleagues whose research includes laboratory and clinical medicine, clinical trials, epidemiology, and social work. He was Director of the following programs:
- Biostatistics Consultation/Collaboration Program (Temple University School of Medicine);
- Statistics and Epidemiology Core, USC Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center (USC);
- Mental Health Clinical Services Research Center, School of Social Work (USC); and
- Statistics and Epidemiology Division, Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG, one of the National Cancer Institute’s international clinical trials groups.
His primary research interests include:
- epidemiologic and clinical trials methodologies;
- development and evaluation of comprehensive local area programs designed to improve health, education, diet, and lifestyles of people and families with marginal incomes
- dietary aspects of health and disease;
- very early diagnosis of cancers;
- melatonin as a treatment for cancer; and
- health effects of exposure to magnetic field from 50-60 Hz electrical equipment.